If the body has not been handling and eliminating toxins well for some time, and if the tissues and organs are congested with excess toxins, it is likely that some of these toxins will make themselves felt as the body starts to get rid of them.
Some of the following symptoms may be experienced during a detox:
- Frequent urination
- Skin rashes
The effects of these symptoms can be minimized
- Timing it right, allowing sufficient time to rest and relax.
- Reducing the dosage of supplements if you feel things are moving too fast or start at a lower dose and increase gradually if you know your system is more reactive.
- Drinking enough water – your bladder soon becomes used to the increased amounts of fluid and the frequent visits to the washroom will diminish.
- Avoiding junk foods and alcohol so that you do not burden your body unnecessarily, making it easier to concentrate on detoxifying.
- Allowing yourself plenty of time to sleep
- Overall, take time to enjoy this restorative period and see it as preparation for the renewed health in the months ahead.
You might not get detox reactions.
- It is perfectly possible to have an effective detox without any unwanted side effects, especially when the exit routes have been cleared first.
- Some people will, in fact, want to do a shorter detox, lacking the will power to make it through the weekend. This is fine – they just won’t get as much benefit from the shorter course.