08 Mar WHY BLUE SPIRULINA IS YOUR NEW MORNING LATTE
We all know how wonderful spirulina is to add to your diet. It boasts an amazing nutrient profile with everything from minerals, to protein, and is very high in antioxidants. But the thought of adding this stuff to our morning elixir makes us cringe a little. Unless you’re a super human, it’s best to leave plain spirulina for smoothies or anywhere that you would also use seaweed!
But have you heard about blue spirulina?
Lately, people have started using spirulina in different ways. However, there are many benefits beyond creating Instagram-able blue morning lattes using blue spirulina.
Here are a few benefits of using blue spirulina:
- It helps to fight free radicals
- Blue spriulina can help to reduce inflammation
- It doesn’t have the same taste (or smell) as plain spirulina
- Immune Enhancement
- Liver and Kidney protection
How is it blue? I thought spirulina was green?
Blue spirulina gets its beautiful colour from something called phycocyanin, which is a group of photosynthetic pigments that are present in cyanobacteria (aka in spirulina).
These pigments have been tested and shown to be extremely high in antioxidants like vitamins A, C, E, as well as in minerals like zinc and selenium. But what exactly do these antioxidants do?
Now let’s dig into benefits we talked about above and why these antioxidants from blue spirulina can help you:
- Fight free radicals: free radicals are seen to be responsible for everything from cancer to inflammation, but they are are combated by antioxidants. As we now know, blue spirulina has lots of these!
- Reduce inflammation: inflammation is our body’s way of protecting us against stuff that shouldn’t be there – like damaged cells or pathogens. Blue spirulina’s high antioxidant content means it can help fight these intruders.
- It doesn’t have the same taste (or smell) as plain spirulina: because it’s extracted from spirulina, it doesn’t have the same marine-like smell or taste.
- Immune enhancement: again, hello antioxidants! In this case we’re especially looking at vitamin C!
- Liver and kidney protection: free radicals tend to do some damage to our detox organs, like our liver and kidneys. By including antioxidant-rich foods and supplements to your routine, you can help protect these essential organs.
Blending blue spirulina with some other amazing superfood ingredients can create the perfect, magical latte. Organika’s Blue Mylk Powder combines blue spirulina, with blue matcha, coconut oil powder, coconut sugar, ashwagandha, cardamom and black pepper.