Pretox: Preparing to Detox
The digestive system takes a bit of a hammering during the festive winter months. For many people, too much alcohol and fatty foods can give rise to symptoms such as headaches, fatigue, poor skin, sluggish bowels and nausea. Spring is the perfect time for detox. The key to a successful detox is preparation Many people give up on their detox program too soon because they feel rotten—headachy, have bad breath or even spots. Follow this advice two weeks before starting your detox:
- Drink lots of water 5 to 2 litres daily to start flushing out the urinary tract.
- Wean yourself off coffee, non-herbal tea and soft drinks it makes the detox easier.
- Boost circulation with exercise at least a brisk 10-minute walk in the fresh air daily.
- Eat more fruit, vegetables and whole foods Avoid processed and refined foods and alcohol.
- Relax Unwind for at least 30 minutes before going to bed to encourage a better sleep.