Body & Personal Care Products
At the Organic Grocer we strive to work together with our suppliers, community officials and staff to ensure the sustained availability of health and heath care products for our growing community.
We’re always looking for ecological consciousness; when we consider new products for our store we feel it is pertinent to ask some pretty provocative questions that get everybody thinking:
– Is it organic? If not, is the product wild harvested or crafted or – as is true of many of our products – is the product organically grown but not yet certified?
– Does the company operate with a social consciousness? Do they pay fair wages, and trade fairly?
– How does the company’s actions affect the environment they operate in and harvest from? What kind of environmental support does the company participate in? – Does the company participate in the Non-GMO Project or a similar code of ethics?
– Does the company follow good manufacturing practices?
– Is the product third party tested and, if so, who does the testing?
– What is the country of origin of the product’s ingredients? If the product comes from abroad – what are the conditions in the origin country? Can we source a high quality local alternative?
– Is the product an animal product? If so – what were the animal’s living conditions? Do the farms the company sources from use ethical practices? Do they adhere to a code of ethics? Do they meet the SPCA’s standards for animal welfare?
– What kind of packaging does the company use? Is the packaging recyclable? Are the packages made from post consumer recycled materials? Is the packaging biodegradable? Why did the company choose the packaging they did (perhaps the only source of glass is in China right now, so they choose a local BPA-free plastic supplier instead.)
With these questions in mind, and with a keen eye for quality ingredients, we’re finding some pretty spectacular companies we feel proud to carry in our store. We’re excited to share them all with our community.