Divine Essence® offers a wide range of certified NPN products, including chemotyped, organic, pure, and natural essential oils, that can help strengthen your defenses.
Included in the family of anti-infection essential oils are:
- Eucalyptus globulus, the enemy of respiratory infections. When diffused or inhaled, this oil helps to clear airways and prevent respiratory discomfort.
- Eucalyptus radiata is used in aromatherapy to help relieve symptoms associated with flus, rhinitis, sinusitis, bronchitis, and ear infections. When inhaled, it helps prevent attacks on the immune system and keeps airways clear.
- Ravintsara, from the Camphor family, helps to temporarily relieve coughs associated with colds. When inhaled, diffused, or diluted in vegetable oil and applied to the thorax, the oil helps clear and disinfect airways.
- Tea Tree is widely used as a germicide and antiseptic, and can be mixed into a disinfectant hand lotion to help protect against bacteria. Tea tree oil is especially useful when you’re traveling and not always able to wash your hands.
- Niaouli helps relieve symptoms associated with colds, sinusitis, coughs, and bronchitis. For an expectorant effect, dilute it in vegetable oil and apply locally.
- Bay laurel is best known as an antiseptic. It helps relieve symptoms associated with colds, viral respiratory infections, influenza, and chronic bronchitis. It is used for its expectorant properties and, when inhaled, helps prevent respiratory infections.
- Rosemary cineole is recommended for general or excessive fatigue. This essential oil helps you regain strength and fight coughs, sinusitis, and respiratory and bronchial conditions. Rosemary cineole oil can be applied topically (diluted in vegetable oil), diffused, or inhaled up to three times per day.
Discover the entire collection of Divine Essence® respiratory system essential oils. They are renowned for their excellent therapeutic performance.
To help you get started and become familiar with aromatherapy, we recommend three essential oils that are easy to incorporate into your everyday life.
LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL: calms the nerves and soothes headaches
Lavender essential oil is diffused to promote relaxation, either throughout the day or when the need arises. For a restful night’s sleep, use the diffuser 30 minutes before going to bed. A few drops of lavender essential oil diluted in 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil can also be applied to the wrists or temples to help you relax or to soothe a persistent headache.
LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL: helps relieve cold and flu symptoms
Lemon essential oil is known for its purifying properties. A few drops in a diffuser will cleanse the air inside your home. What’s more, its fresh and fruity aroma is pleasant and helps fight off viruses. Lemon essential oil has long been used to help relieve cold and flu symptoms. To use as an inhalant, add 4 to 12 drops to a bowl of hot water or diffuser. Breathe in slowly and deeply for 5 to 10 minutes.
PEPPERMINT ESSENTIAL OIL: helps relieve nausea and vomiting
After a rich meal, in case of nausea, vomiting, or motion sickness, mix 1 to 4 drops of peppermint essential oil with 1/2 a teaspoon of vegetable oil and take orally to help soothe digestive discomfort.
Essential oils are highly concentrated in active ingredients, making them powerful and widely recognized for their therapeutic properties. They contain various quantities of different plant molecules, each with their own unique properties. The presence of these molecules varies according to many factors such as the plant’s soil, climate, and growth conditions. This is why essential oils can sometimes have a variety of therapeutic properties.
To ensure proper use and dosage, it is recommended that you follow the warnings and instructions on the labels.
You can find all the organic essential oils you need for your aromatherapy starter’s kit with Divine Essence: essential oils to relieve muscle pain, respiratory problems, skin ailments, and more. Take care of yourself simply and naturally.
We’ve got all these oils – and many more – in store! Don’t forget to ask to talk to your aromatherapist, Lisa.
In 1413, as the bubonic plague decimated France, thieves were arrested for robbing dead and dying plague victims, a crime punishable by burning alive. The judge offered them leniency for their terrible crimes if they would share the secret which enabled them to expose themselves to the plague without contracting it. The thieves explained that they were perfume makers and spice merchants who were unemployed due to the closure of France’s sea ports. They had prepared a special herbal infusion which they applied to their hands, ears, feet, masks, and temples and this protected them from infection. As promised, the judge did not burn the men alive…He hanged them instead. Soon after, plague doctors began to wear beak-like masks stuffed with absorbent material soaked in the Thieves’ blend to protect them from disease.
The Thieves’ original blend, containing vinegar and garlic, was known primarily as Vinaigre de Marseille. This formula was marketed by medical suppliers as the first line of defence for hundreds of years, and has been a staple of pestilent prevention in every plague since its formulation. The rise of the modern pharmacopeia saw this staple placed in the pages of forgotten history. Marseille’s Remedy is the most traditional concentrated form of this time- honoured recipe. Its applications are numerous, as a treatment for all of life’s hygienic needs.
A Powerful, Versatile Remedy
Marseille’s Remedy is an all-natural blend of five pure, high-grade, therapeutic essential oils used to improve wellness, health, and vitality. It consists of the organic, steam-distilled oils of Cinnamon, Clove, Eucalyptus and Rosemary, plus the true cold-pressed oil of Lemon. These are sourced from Sri Lanka (the first two), Australia, France and Italy, respectively. This authentic blend naturally balances, safeguards, and synergizes (or strengthens) the healing properties of various essential oil constituents.
It can be mixed with any carrier oil for topical use, vinegar or soap for cleaning, baking soda for teeth, or used directly in a diffuser to purify air.
Its applications and usages are many, and when applied correctly, Marseille’s Remedy is a very effective antifungal, antibacterial, and antiviral treatment.
We have received many happy testimonials from customers, including in successfully treating acne, boils, warts, cold sores, and colds/coughs amongst their families, to refreshing indoor air quality, eliminating their pet’s fleas, or wiping out surface molds, among others.
- Clears phlegm and congested airways
- Relieves inflammation due to sprain/strain/rheumatoid arthritis
- Antispasmodic for symptomatic relief of digestive discomfort
- Eliminates airborne pathogens and foul odours
- Antifungal: Feet, hands, scalp, and mold remediation
- Use as hand sanitizer or all-purpose cleaner
- Can aid in the treatment and prevention of topical infectious ailments
- Deters mites, lice, worms, fleas, and mosquitoes
- Topical: Combine 2 drops of Marseilles Remedy with 40 drops of carrier oil, and massage into skin, muscles, or joints.
- Direct Inhalation: For cough and cold, apply 2 to 6 drops undiluted product to a handkerchief/tissue and inhale. Alternatively, diffuse in boiling water or in an essential oil diffuser.
- Household: Mix with soapy water, or diluted vinegar, to clean, and sanitize. Use undiluted to remediate mold around the house, or deter pests.
The Balm is like having a popular muscle rub product combined with the favorite leading chest rub, merged into one effective and all-natural ointment. It contains over 50% of the Marseille’s Thieves’ Oil blend, plus some grapeseed oil and beeswax for pleasant texture, plus a warming natural camphor, and a soothing, deeply penetrating natural menthol (peppermint oil compound).
The balm is effective for many of the aforementioned uses, but also can “stick” longer to the skin, so is better suited for continual topical treatments, such as in respiratory disorders, or for joint or muscle aches or injury areas.
Some parents have reported how quickly it acted as an expectorant to help expel their child’s chest cold, and many clients have had success treating symptoms of back or other body pain. Recurrent daily use can help the body modulate the inflammatory response, and resolve conditions more easily.
Since Marseille’s Remedy is a concentrated, undiluted pure blend, use responsibly. Avoid contact with eyes, membranes, or other sensitive body areas. Read label before using.
Have a Cheerful and Healthy Autumn and Winter!
Not all chemicals are “unnatural” and dangerous to human or environmental health. There are many natural chemicals such as the ones found in grapefruit seeds and apple cider vinegar which are beneficial to our health and environment. Here’s a sample list of some of the health-endangering ingredients that Prairie Naturals never uses in any of our hair care products.
Prairie Naturals Hair Care formulas deliver the cleansing, conditioning & styling support your hair needs without the use of harmful ingredients. Prairie Naturals Hair Care products create beautiful, healthy hair without dangerous ingredients.
Beautiful Hair without Dangerous Ingredients
ULTRA-SIL™ 500 mg
- Promotes beautifully healthy hair, skin and nails!
- Supports the skeletal system
- Provides superior source of organic silica
- Aqueous extract of Spring Horsetail (Equisetum arvense)
- Specially processed for best assimilation
- Rich source of trace minerals
- Strengthens bones
- Counteracts stress, illness, hormonal imbalances
- Stimulates maximum growth of hair follicle
- 22 natural nutrients restore, repair & nourish
- Creates beautiful, healthy hair from within
- Easy-to-absorb softgels
- Minimizes hair loss
- Love Your Hair!
Prairie Naturals award-winning hair care products are formulated with natural ingredients to give you beautiful, healthy looking hair without the questionable additives. Each Prairie Naturals Hair Care formula is carefully crafted using the rich, nourishing ingredients found in nature…moisturizing Jojoba oil and Shea butter, soothing Aloe Vera and stimulating Tea Tree oil are but a few of the precious ingredients that work to give you healthy, manageable, gorgeous hair. Our premium quality, award-winning shampoos, conditioners and styling aids deliver the results you demand with concentrated nutrients, botanical extracts and pure plant essential oils.
Here’s a sample list of some of the health-endangering ingredients that Prairie Naturals never uses in any of our hair care products. You’ll quickly see why.
- most widely used, broad-spectrum preservatives worldwide Also known as methyl-, propyl, butyl- and ethyl- parabens or under the name Germaben, these toxic substances can be absorbed through the skin, are linked to developmental and reproductive toxicity as well as toxicity in wildlife. They are weakly estrogenic (may cause hormone dependent cancers) and can negatively impact the immune system.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and its chemical cousins are standard ingredients in anything that foams. They are among the most irritating ingredients in personal care products causing dandruff-like scalp conditions, skin rashes, eye and lung irritations, and are also toxic to aquatic organisms. It is frequently disguised in semi-natural cosmetics with the explanation “comes from coconut”.
- This chemical threesome: DEA (diethanolamine), MEA (monoethanolamine) and TEA (triethanolamine) and related compounds are used as foaming or emulsifying agents and can form cancer-causing compounds called nitrosamines when they come in contact with other nitrogen containing compounds found in cosmetics.
- Propylene glycol, often used as an emulsifier/moisturizer, is a petrochemical also used in antifreeze and brake fluid. It is an inexpensive, synthetic humectant and emulsifier. Known as a primary irritant to skin, eyes and lungs, it penetrates the skin very quickly and may encourage liver and kidney issues.
- A synthetic emollient, it’s the most extensively used ingredient in body care products and the single greatest cause of breakouts in women who use a new product. While covering the skin, it clogs pores and traps toxins and wastes inside the skin layers preventing the skins ability to respire.
- Phthalates (pronounced tha-lates) are industrial plasticizers known to be one of the foremost dangers found in cosmetics and personal care products. Dozens of studies have shown that phthalates disrupt and inhibit normal hormonal functions, causing infertility and birth defects.
- The chemical colours used in shampoos and scores of other products are labeled as FD&C or D&C followed by a color and a number. These synthetic colours are made from coal tar and contain heavy metal salts that can deposit toxins onto the skin and cause cancer.
- Artificial fragrances can generate a variety of instant adverse reactions including headaches, dizziness, rash, redness, violent coughing and vomiting. These chemical fragrances often contain a toxic cocktail of more than 200 chemicals including endocrine disrupting phthalates.
Prana is an ancient Sanskrit word, meaning breath, considered as a life-giving force. The concept of the Divine Essence essential oils
Prana Winter’s Blend is to enhance the quality of our vital breathing ability, by helping to support and clear sinuses, lungs and all passageways, especially where there are issues of catarrh, phlegm, bronchial or sinus struggles, or to prevent or treat colds or flus. In a choice blend such as this one, all of the individual oils also contribute to and magnify a synergistic effect, meaning that the whole formula winds up being greater and more therapeutically effective than the sum of its parts. The Prana Blend, with its fresh and pleasant smell, is also wonderful diffused as a general indoors air freshener and deodorizer, or can be used to scent closets, laundry areas, or potpourri for a unique variation. All Divine Essence oils are considered artisan or therapeutic grade, and are thoroughly laboratory (chemo-type) tested for genuine 100% authenticity, purity, cleanliness, non-adulteration, careful production, and thus, full effectiveness for that particular variety.
The Prana Blend (AKA Winter’s Blend) consists of eight premium, certified organic essential oils:
- Eucalyptus Radiata (Eucalyptus radiata) – A softer Eucalyptus, sourced from South Africa, which especially supports the upper respiratory tract and sinuses, including as an anti-inflammatory, helping treat rhinitis or otitis. It is anti-catarrhal and mucolytic, meaning showing expectorant and fluidification properties, when needed to break up and help remove excess mucous. It is anti-infectious, helping treat acute and chronic respiratory infections and flus, and is also energizing against chronic fatigue, or to treat immune deficiency. The Peppermint in this blend enhances its penetration through all three skin layers and into the lungs, if used as a chest rub, along with a carrier oil. (Best carrier oils are Sweet Almond, Jojoba, Grapeseed, or similar plant oils, or in a pinch, most household cooking oils, including Coconut, will work.)
- Rosemary Cineole (Rosmarinus officinalis cineoliferum) – The most popular Rosemary essential oil variety from Divine Essence, sourced from Morocco; rich, pungent and potent. Most essential oil companies use only the standard Camphor variety, (which DE also carries, along with a third type), but the scents are notably different. Although the properties are nearly identical, being sourced from different regions creates unique characters, much as with fine wines. The Cineole type is often preferred for treating respiratory or circulatory issues. Here in the Prana blend, it supports the immune system, and is very protective against oxidation and oils breakdown, which strengthens and synergizes the entire blend. Research confirms it as effectively antibacterial and antiviral, helping eradicate pathogenic bacteria or viruses, as with colds or flus. It is also helpful for treating digestive pain, muscle cramps or spasms, neuralgia, fatigue or memory issues, headaches, and migraines. Most researchers caution to avoid using Rosemary oil during pregnancy, especially in the first four months.
- Niaouli (Melaleuca viridiflora, a.k.a. quinquenervia CT 1,8-cineole), also from Madagascar, has some properties similar to Tea Tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia), as the Melaleuca genus name implies, but has a more subtle, sweeter scent; still pungent and deep, but not as cutting and intense. This tree, along with the Cajuput variety, can reach up to 35 m (100 ft) or taller, and the genuine oil is not easy to obtain. This leaf oil is used in aromatherapy for its expectorant properties, and helps relieve the symptoms of sinusitis, cough, bronchitis, and cold. It also has skin tonic, immunostimulatory and anti-inflammatory properties, among many others.
- Fir Balsam (Abies balsamea) – Sourced right from Eastern Canada, this therapeutic oil provides the heartwarming, classic, pungent “Christmas Tree” scent. It has antibacterial qualities, and new studies are finding Fir Balsam may possibly be effective against both e. coli and staph. aureus, which could help heal pneumonia and other conditions; more research is needed. Fir Balsam has antitussive properties, meaning it will help relieve coughs and throat irritations. This is activated by inhaling the diffused or steamed oil. It is antiseptic, antiparasitic, and a cicatrizant, meaning it will help heal burns, wounds and cuts. It is also used in aromatherapy to help relieve joint and muscle pain associated with strains, sprains and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Palmarosa (cymbopogon martinii var. motia) – A pleasant rose-like scent denotes this exotic oil from India, derived from the same Poaceae family that includes Citronella, Lemongrass and Vetiver. Thus, it helps enhance the overall scent profile and usability of the Prana Winter’s Blend. It shows anti-inflammatory and tonic properties, and can be mildly simulating to the immune system. It has been used to treat Cholera, and has anti-infectious, antibacterial, and antiviral properties, thus helping to treat and eliminate colds and flus in this blend. Palmarosa has a normalizing effect on the thyroid gland, and has markedly antifungal properties, making it useful against toenail fungus, candida or skin fungus conditions, and even head lice.
- Ravintsara (Cinnamomum camphora) – This Cinnamon-type (but quite different) plant variety from the leaf form, fair-trade sourced (as with all DE oils), from our growers and distillers in faraway Madagascar, is somewhat less skin-irritating than the similarly named Ravensara variety. It also has been shown to be particularly effective for respiratory or bronchial problems, in part due to its high 1,8 cineole content, a penetrating compound which helps ease breathing and has anti-inflammatory action. Ravintsara also has antibacterial and antiviral properties, easing colds and flus. In one researcher’s report of an unpublished study, it was used in an aloe vera gel “hand cream” with elementary-aged schoolchildren and dramatically reduced the absenteeism rate that season.
- Peppermint (Mentha piperita) – This classic essential oil, sourced from Hungary, enhances the delightful scent of the Parana Winter’s Blend, and is sourced from Hungary. It acts as a catalyst for the other oils, especially enhancing skin penetration through all three layers of the dermis, as mentioned, for chest rubs. This is why you will notice, Peppermint or Menthol, a key isolated component sometimes synthetically derived, is used in nearly every pain relieving cream or oil. It also has analgesic (pain-relieving) properties on its own via different neural and receptor cell effects, as well as mild anesthetic properties. It product a cooling sensation on the skin by activating cold-sensitive receptors, without actually changing temperature, in the same way that capsaicin from chile peppers, causes a heating reaction. Peppermint also has antiviral, antispasmodic, decongestant, expectorant, digestive, and soothing neurotonic properties, among others.
- Eucalyptus Blue Gum (Eucalyptus globulus) – This more familiar, stronger-smelling Eucalyptus has many of the same properties
of the Radiata variety, but is deeper-penetrating, and especially powerful in helping reach and treat lower and deeper respiratory tract infections, colds and flus. (Here, sourced from either Spain or South Africa.) It is classically used in a mixture with a carrier oil topically, applied to the front of the chest, which helps deliver the healing constituents via quick penetration through the skin into the lung tissues, but also via the inhalant aromatherapeutic properties. It is also anti-inflammatory, helping relieve pain and pressure in lung and bronchial swelling situations, as well as with joints or muscles.
Overall, these eight oils, carefully blended together, form a potent protective and treatment blend for various fall and winter maladies, best used either in a nebulizer or diffuser, or with head under a towel over a steaming bowl of hot water (shake in 10 to 25 drops as per strength desired), or applied topically with a carrier oil, as a chest rub.
From all of us at Organic Grocer and Divine Essence, Here’s to a healthy, happy Winter Season!
Remember when you are using essential oils, your choices make a difference – always choose essential oils that are ethically produced, environmentally clean, pure, 100% authentic, lab-tested, and organic as well as Health-Canada approved. Lisa’s favourite line for therapeutic oils is Divine Essence, but for room scents Aromaforce is a great line!
Try this yummy room scent in one of our new room diffusers:
From Aromaforce: Festive Scent
Organic Sweet Orange Pure Essential Oil – 4 drops
Organic Mandarin Pure Essential Oil – 4 drops
Organic Cinnamon Pure Essential Oil – 1 drop
Organic Balsam Fir Pure Essential Oil – 3 drops
Organic Peppermint Pure Essential Oil – 3 drops
Blend these all together, and roll the bottle between your hands to mix the oils (never shake). Then use 2 – 5 drops in a room diffuser.
Lisa’s Favourite Yule-Time Blend:
I never actually count my drops! But here’s a basic recipe you can play with:
Pure Organic Essential Oil of Cinnamon Bark – 1 drop
Pure Organic Essential Oil of Nutmeg – 1 drop
Pure Organic Essential Oil of Vanilla (dark)- 1 drop
Pure Organic Essential Oil of Blood Orange – 5 drops
Blend these all together in a mixing bottle then roll the bottle between your hands to mix the oils (never shake). Use 2 – 5 drops of this blend in a room diffuser or nebulizer.
Want your house to smell like Christmas trees even though you don’t have a real one (yet)? Try Divine Essence’s Prana Blend – which is a blend of respiratory essential oils, including Eucalyptus and Fir. Heaven!!!
Happy Holidays everyone!