As far as buzzwords go, inflammation is pretty hot – literally. When you cut yourself in the kitchen, that redness, warmth and swelling is evidence of inflammation at work. It’s the first line of defence your immune system uses to protect you from infection and repair the damage that weakened your defences in the first place.
So why would inflammation be a problem? Because, in our crazy world, the balance your immune system has between tolerance and action can be lost. This happens for a whole bunch of reasons:
– The chronic stress of the daily grind: deadlines, bills and family life
– Sitting too much and skipping the gym
– Choosing mac and cheese and burgers over kale salads and oatmeal
The battle zone where the inflammation war occurs most often? Your gut. Your gut is a crucial barrier between you and the outside world. It absorbs all of your nutrients while it tries to keep out harmful germs and toxic substances. For that reason, roughly 80% of your immunity is centred there…meaning that when things go awry, the immune system may call inflammation to the front lines.
The nutrition prescription is deceptively simple: eat more plants. Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds and beans are high in fibre that feed beneficial bacteria in the gut. They also help keep blood sugars stable and provide anti-inflammatory compounds that help to douse the flames of inflammation.
A potent probiotic can really help too. The reason for this is that inflammation fosters the growth of bacterial strains that love to live in the heat…but your friendly strains have a hard time managing the tropical weather. A quality probiotic such as Bio-K+ can help fight off the strains that keep the fires of inflammation burning so that the thermostat reaches a more comfortable level.
Staying healthy and feeling energized means living an anti-inflammatory lifestyle. Eat well, move your body and take your beneficial bacteria!
Your body works hard to maintain a healthy balance between acid (lower on the pH scale) and alkaline (higher on the pH scale), helping your systems operate efficiently. When there is an imbalance due to stress, lack of sleep, and over consumption of acidic foods (such as sugar, processed foods and alcohol) your body has to work harder to maintain its optimal pH level. How? By reaching for the alkalizing minerals it needs to counter the higher levels of acid. Unfortunately, these minerals are leached from your bones, organs and tissues. This depletion of resources, combined with the fact that viruses, fungus, yeast and bacteria thrive in acidic environments, opens the door to imbalance and disease in the body.
Many people are choosing to consume more alkaline foods and drinks to help their bodies maintain a healthy pH balance. In fact, the World Health Organization recommends consuming mineralized water for the maintenance of optimal health.
Alkaline Water for Fitness
Alkaline water is a popular choice for bodybuilders, athletes, and fitness enthusiasts because it helps your body sustain physical activity for longer periods of time at higher workloads. How? During training, your body produces lactate, and works hard to clear it. When lactate production exceeds your ability to clear it, it’s called your Anaerobic Threshold, at which point your energy production becomes dominated by your anaerobic systems.
An alkaline environment in the body increases your ability to clear lactate, thereby increasing your Anaerobic Threshold, and letting you workout longer and harder. Add a little alkaline water to your bottle every morning for a whole body boost!
Insider Scoop: In February 2017 Santevia Water Systems & Pitchers will be on sale at the Organic Grocer. Grab yours before they sell out!
Only Natural Calm has a proprietary formula of highly absorbable magnesium in ionic form so it starts working right away
- Ionic means that the molecules have gained or lost an electron and seek to attach to something to balance out the electron count. Research has shown that ionic minerals are more easily absorbed by the body.
- Absorption – Magnesium citrate powder is better absorbed than any form of magnesium tablet. That’s because mineral tablets have very low bioavailability.
- Magnesium supplements in liquid form are the most absorbable, because “the amount of magnesium your tissues can use is based on how soluble the magnesium product is and the amount of elemental or ionic magnesium that is released”
- Research shows that several types of liquid magnesium have similar absorbability. While there are no clinical trials comparing the leading forms of powdered magnesium, expert opinion holds that magnesium citrate has a 10% higher bioavailability compared to glycinate, at 90% vs 80%
“The difference between citrate and glycinate absorption in favor of magnesium citrate is due
to the fact that many individuals lack sufficient hydrochloric acid (HCI) to absorb magnesium
efficiently and magnesium citrate does not require HCl”
- Magnesium citrate can be used as a natural, gentle laxative, if desired. As when taking any form of magnesium, “loose stools… (are) a mechanism to release excess magnesium… when you reach saturation and take more than you require”8 To avoid the laxative effect, add 1 – 2 tsp of Natural Calm to a large bottle of water and sip slowly throughout the day.
Take the Natural Calm Taste challenge today:
1 tsp every night for a week – and see how you feel!
- Winner of 2014 and 2015 Alive Awards in Gold and Silver
- Validated by thousands of 5 Star customer reviews9
- No fillers (like baking soda), preservatives, additives or artificial sweeteners
- Made with stevia and organic flavours
- Non GMO Project Verified, Gluten Free, Vegan
- Natural Calm Canada donates profits to Organics 4 Orphans™, the not-for-profit we founded 10 years ago to help the world’s poorest communities grow health organically. Our purpose-driven natural health company has donated over $1.5 million to date.
Digest-Force Activates Healthy Digestion!
Indigestion is a pain. Literally. More people suffer from chronic indigestion than from any other condition. Activate good digestion quickly with Digest-ForceTM Activated Coconut Charcoal & Ginger Root Extract, the newest member in Prairie Naturals Digestive Health product category.
What are the Ingredients in Digest-Force & What Do They Do?
Digest-Force combines the therapeutic power of activated charcoal from coconut husks with ginger root extract. Blending traditional practices with herbal medicine, this unique formula provides rapid relief from indigestion safely and effectively.
• Charcoal from Coconut Husks – It’s a fact that our planet’s original detoxifying agent is charcoal! Prairie Naturals coconut charcoal is “activated” through a carbonproducing process using high heat, pressure and steam. This process expands the therapeutic “adsorption” (suction) effect of charcoal by making it more porous and expanding its surface area. Prairie Naturals Digest-ForceTM formula with activated coconut charcoal has the distinct power to neutralize and eliminate various toxic substances (including allergens) by binding them unto itself and moving them safely out of the body. In fact, activated charcoal has proven so effective and safe that it is routinely used in hospitals as an antidote to drug and poison toxicity!
• Ginger Root (Zingiber officinale) Extract (10:1) – This traditional medicinal is revered as one of the world’s most ancient and effective digestive remedies. Extensive scientific analyses indicate that the primary active constituents (phytochemical terpenes gingerol and shogaol, along with oleoresin) aid & protect the digestive tract. The therapeutic use of ginger extract immediately reduces indigestion, gas, bloating and nausea.
10 Important Things You Need to Know About Digest-Force
- Digest-Force provides an adsorption function that has a detoxifying effect.
- Digest-Force combines activated coconut charcoal combined with ginger extract to rapidly alleviate the pain and discomfort of bloating and gas.
- Digest-Force neutralizes excessive stomach acid; relieves ulcers and acid reflux.
- Digest-Force remedies the discomfort caused by overeating and eating irritating, allergenic foods.
- Digest-Force is an integral part of every digestive health and detoxification program.
- Digest-Force quickly and safely alleviates symptoms of indigestion and intestinal distress.
- Digest-Force helps to heal intestinal inflammation.
- Digest-Force combats food poisoning, toxins and pollutants.
- Digest-Force reduces intestinal infections from viral, bacterial, yeast and mold sources.
- Digest-Force corrects many of the root causes of diarrhea effectively.