8 Natural Immune Boosters to Avoid Getting Sick This Season
Your immune system is your first line of defense against illness. To help build a strong immune system, you need to start by finding the best ingredients. The following eight natural immune boosters work to help manage symptoms of colds and flu.
- Oil of Oregano holds two powerful compounds, carvacrols and thymol that have therapeutic properties. Carvacrol helps kill viruses and bacteria by interfering with their ability to make the energy needed to grow. Thymol, a natural anti-septic, enhances immune system function and promotes healing.
- Garlic is known to contain about 17 amino acids, at least 33 sulphur compounds, 8 minerals (germanium, calcium, copper, iron, potassium, magnesium, selenium and zinc) and the vitamins A, B and C. Garlic also contains alliin and alliinase that combine to form allicin when the garlic clove is cut. Allicin is the key compound that helps to relieve the symptoms of respiratory tract and sinus infections.
- Goldenseal has berberine. In testing, it has been shown to have strong anti-viral properties that have been found effective against herpes simplex, influenza A and B, and streptococcus It can inhibit the ability of bacteria and viruses to enter and infect cells and prevents the influenza virus from replicating.
- Elderberry extract has been shown to inhibit the replication of bacteria and viruses.
- Vitamin C stimulates the production of neutrophils, which attack foreign bacteria and viruses.
- Zinc plays an important role in supporting healthy immune function.
- Cayenne is an anti-inflammatory that can contribute to relieve symptoms of cold and flu.
- Grape Seed Extract has been shown to inhibit the replication of viruses and is a rich source of antioxidants including vitamin E, flavonoids, and OPC (oligomeric proanthocyanidins), one of the pigments naturally found in some plants such as pine bark, tea and grapes.