18 Dec 5 Reasons Your Probiotic Isn’t Working
You buy a probiotic thinking that it will have an impact on how you feel. But when you start taking it, you feel nothing. Or worse, you feel more bloated and your digestion feels funnier than when you started. Here’s how to troubleshoot why your probiotic may not be working, and how to find a probiotic that will.
Probiotics can improve your health1. But if your probiotic isn’t working for you, it could be because of one (or more) of these reasons:
1. It contains allergens
If you have digestive issues, you may have food sensitivities, too. Look for a probiotic that’s free of the top eight allergens: milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy and wheat.
2. It’s not the right probiotic for you
Your gut contains thousands of different species of probiotic bacteria, so you’ll likely benefit from a variety of strains. In 75% of the cases that evaluated multi vs. individual species formulas, the multi-strain formula worked better!
3. The bacteria aren’t alive
To feel a benefit, your probiotics must be living! Look for a probiotic with a guaranteed CFU at expiry, which indicates the bacteria guaranteed to be living by the time the probiotic expires.
4. The bacteria aren’t getting to your gut
Your probiotics must make it through your stomach acid and reach your gut alive.Look for a probiotic encapsulated in a delayed-release capsule that will get them there.
5. It doesn’t contain balanced strains
If your multi-strain doesn’t feel like it’s doing a good job, it could be because the strains aren’t balanced. Look for a probiotic that lists all strains and their amounts on the label.
Genuine Health spent a lot of time creating advanced gut health probiotics so they would make a difference in how you feel:
- Crafted with 15 balanced strains of probiotic bacteria with an ample CFU
- Strains are triple cleaned to ensure that only the heartiest remain
- Encapsulated in a delayed-release, plastic-free capsule that’s been shown to deliver up to 10x the bacteria to the gut
- Shelf stable and packed in a humidity-resistant blister pack
- Vegan and free of allergens like gluten, wheat,dairy, nuts, fish, eggs and sulphites
1Taibi, et al. Practical approaches to probiotics use. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2014 Aug;39(8):980-6